At the Streets & Environment Scrutiny SubCommittee meeting on Tuesday 2 December it was agreed to:
- Refer its amended report to the Cabinet and the Croydon and Lewisham Joint Street Lighting Committee for consideration and a response to its conclusions and recommendations.
- Express its concern that the Core Investment Programme work programme, which had been prioritised across wards in the borough to help deliver better road safety, an improved night time environment and economy and to help reduce street crime and anti-social behaviour, had been amended to bring forward ‘easy-to-complete’ wards while work in high priority wards had not been completed.
- Ask officers to maintain pressure on the contractor to complete street lighting implementation in wards where work was already underway as soon as possible.
- Note that the council is effectively monitoring the contract and that Skanska Laing is being penalised financially on an on-going basis for delays in delivering the Core Investment Programme.
- Express its concerns about the detrimental effect the delays in delivering the Core Investment Programme is having on residents and that this can be directly attributed to Skanska Laing and UK Power Networks.
- Seek an apology to the residents of Croydon from Skanska Laing for the delays and disruption they have caused in the delivery of the Core Investment Programme.
- Refer the Street Lighting PFI Contract back to scrutiny for a further up-date and report on progress in 2015/16 with a particular emphasis on seeking information about on-going delays, wards completed, stump removal, joint working between Skanska Laing and UK Power Networks in delivering the street lighting replacement programme and the predicted over-run of the Core Investment Programme.
- Note however, that overall the new street lighting, once installed and working, provides an improved and beneficial service to the residents of Croydon.
The 19 January Cabinet meeting will consider the Sub-committee’s report, which can be accessed at https://secure.croydon.gov.uk/akscroydon/users/public/admin/kab14.pl?operation=SUBMIT&meet=32&cmte=CAB&grpid=public&arc=1