18 people attended the first discussion for the proposal to set-up a Croydon Enterprise and Skills Development Board held on Friday 9 January. Over 30 people prior to the meeting expressed strong interest in being involved in such an initiative, although many knew that they could not make the meeting. Charlotte Davies, the convenor, sums up the discussion.
The common themes that came out of the meeting were that:
- Everyone strongly believed in the need for enterprise and skills education delivered in a partnership between industry and educational organisations.
- Everyone knew that the basic materials to deliver this education already exist.
- That good practice can easily be shared on-line.
- That in practice there are factors which constrain consistent long-term effective delivery of an enterprise skills agenda, but that an effective Board for Croydon ought to be able to speak on behalf of all major interest groups and use its influence to overcome such constraints.
- We currently have about 30 very well informed people who are keen to address enterprise skills issues in Croydon. We probably need a Board of 8 to 12 people which represents industry and community groups and has a good spread of relevant skills.
People were asked to consider how we could use all interested parties to form working groups that reported back to the main board and think about what the structure of the organisation might look like; also to consider whether they would be willing to sit on the main board of what will probably be a CIC.
Charlotte suggests a further meeting within the next three weeks to keep up the momentum and to actually deliver results. The education business cycle is such that it is useful to have resources available in May/June so that teachers can start planning for the next September. Therefore, there is a lot to do by Easter in order to get all Croydon schools, colleges, supplementary education providers and voluntary associations to put skills development at the top of their agendas for September 2015.
If you want to be involved please contact Charlotte at firstname.lastname@example.org