Statement on Lambeth Archives – 17th December 2014
Lambeth Council are about to look into a number of options for the future location of Lambeth Archives and we are keen to work closely with our community, archive-users and organisations and individuals who have records deposited in the archives and are interested in Lambeth’s history and heritage. Archive collections have been held at the Minet Library for the past 125 years but, as many archive users already know, this is not the easiest location for people to get to and the physical conditions for document storage and facilities for visitors could both be improved.
The first part of this project will generate short, medium and long term options for the future location of Lambeth Archives. No decisions have yet been taken and we would like to work with you over the coming months to discuss and develop a brief to progress this project.
Our initial thoughts about this brief would be to look at options that will help us to develop an archives service fit for the 21st century; one which continues to build on the Minet family’s original legacy and which:
- is a more accessible community building for local people and visitors alike
- provides improved access and exhibition space for the archive and museum collections
- provides a destination and educational space for all citizens to discover and learn about our local identity and heritage
- provides facilities for increasing the work we do with our community and partners
- explores ways to generate more revenue from the specialist services we provide
- meets the needs of present and future generations by providing storage space compliant with current standards and is of sufficient capacity to continue to collect the records of Lambeth and its people, both past and present
- meets the challenge of storing and accessing digital records
We will be working closely throughout this project with Archives and Libraries staff, our community and partners, The National Archives, local amenities societies, other Council departments, the Lambeth Local History Forum and the Minet Hub Group to develop our future service to meet local needs and national standards.
Once the brief for the options appraisal is developed it will be circulated amongst interested parties. If you are interested in being involved in this process, would like to input at an earlier stage or have any initial comments, please contact us on the details provided below by 12 noon on Monday 26th January:
Email: DBunce@lambeth.gov.uk, tel: 020 7926 0760
Although 26 January date has passed comments
can still be sent to Dawn Bunce