An important issue for the Croydon Opportunity & Fairness Commission to examine is the problems faced by households in paying their energy bills. The Turn2Us campaign on cold homes charity has surveyed 2,000 people and found that three quarters of families are struggling to heat their homes so that no one feels cold. The knock-on effects are severe. Awareness of the Warm Homes Discount is low.
How much are people struggling?
- 78% families struggled with their energy bills in last year
- 82% single parent families struggled in the last year
- 85% families with a disability in the last year.
How often do energy bill struggles affect a family’s wellbeing?
- 67% families say it frequently harms their mental wellbeing
- 69% single parent families say it has harmed their mental wellbeing
- 83% families with disabilities say it has harmed their wellbeing.
Are families struggling to their heat home so no one feels cold?
- 75% families frequently struggle to heat their homes so no one feels cold
- 78% single parent families say they struggle
- 83% families with disabilities.
How are cold homes affecting children?
- 75% families say it’s affecting the health of children
- 70% families say it affects a child’s play and wellbeing
- 53% families say cold homes are affecting school work.
Cold homes and health
- 43% families say they have experienced ill health due to cold homes
- 68% families with disabilities say they’ve experienced ill health.
To heat or eat
- 61% families say they’ve had to cut back on food
- 65% single parents have cut back on their food
- 73% families with disabilities have cut back on their food.
Energy struggles and payday loans
- 17% families taken out or considered taking out a loan
- 26% families with disabilities have or considered taking out a loan.
Is there enough support for families?
- 53% families don’t think there’s enough support
- 63% families with disabilities think there is not enough support.
Awareness of the Warm Home Discount
- 70% families had never heard of the Warm Home Discount
Further information about the campaign can be found at http://www.turn2us.org.uk/default.aspx