As the General Eelection getsm under way what are the challenges facing Croydonians regardless of who forms the next Government.
- Council’s top-down decision making
- Council’s ‘consultation’ approach
- Strengthening residents and community organisations
- Fostering community cohesion
- The inadequacies of the railway system
- The effects of the cuts imposed by the Government on the Council
- The fragmentation of the schools system
- The influence of private developers
- Whitgift Centre redevelopment proposals
- Fiveways traffic proposals
- The Council’s approach to culture
- The conversion of offices into flats
- The conversion of family houses into flats
- The need to improve the protection for the built heritage
- The lack of neighbourhood committees to oversee Council ‘regeneration’ spending
- The need to protect the high streets from supermarket convenience stores, betting and loan shops
- The work of the Opportunity & Fairness Commission
Many of the above issues are about the relastionship between Central Government, legislation and the Council.
What do you want your next MP to do on these issues?
You can ask at the hustings meetings with candidates – see blog postings – Croydon Events and News 30 March and 2 April.