St Anne & All Saint’s Church
I am leading a walk down South Lambeth Rd for Vauxhall Society on Wednesday 6 May starting at 12.30pm.
Please meet at the Parco Café on the Fentiman Rd side of Vauxhall Park.
I will discuss:
- The alliance to create Vauxhall Park
- The Dutch funding of James I
- The gardening pioneers Tradescant and Ashmole
- The Beaufoy vinegar makers, politicians and philantropists
- Arthur Rackham the illustrator
- The Gasworkers Vicar at St Anne’s
- The South Lambeth Debating Society
- Duse Mohammed Ali, the Edwardian/First World War Moslem journalist; the birthplace of the Children’s Society
- Claudia Jones, the West Indian born US exile activist in the growing West Indian community in the 1950s and 60s.
- The Tate South Lambeth Library
- The Wheatsheaf Community Hall
The aim is to walk down South Lambeth Rd and cut across to Albert Square and see where the former Marble Roller Skating rink was on the other side of Clapham Rd.
I will have copies of Jon Newman’s mini-book on Price’s Candles £5) and Penny Caulfield’s on Vauxhall Gardens (£5), which I publish, on sale, as well as Jon’s Tradescant walk pamphlet (£3).
Wheatsheaf Foundation Stone
Photos taken by me during project for Stockwell Partnership assessing community buildings (2008)