Ruskin House, the Georgian building owned by Croydon’s trade union and labour movement, is a meeting place for local movement meetings including the Croydon TUC, and the Croydon Assembly. It rents offices to the Labour Party and the national Communist Party. The Cedar Tree Playgroup caters for up to 30 young children every weekday morning. It hosts the Ruskin House Folk & Blues Club, the Croydon Folk Club, and Cinema Ruskin. The bar is run by the Ruskin Club, which always welcomes new members.
Ruskin House, 23 Coombe Rd, CR0 1BD
The History and Future of the Labour Party: Where’s it been? Where’s it going? Saturday 6 February. 10am-4pm.
Independent Working Class Education South of England Day School. For further details see https://seancreighton1947.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/the-history-and-future-of-the-labour-party-wheres-it-been-wheres-it-going-6-february-croydon
Croydon Assembly: Saturday 19 March. 11am-3pm. Launch of Assembly Manifesto
The manifesto is aimed to go beyond campaigning against austerity cuts by the Tory Government to having a positive forward agenda for campaigning on housing, the economy, environment, welfare, elderly and disabled, against racism, and for improved democracy.
Registration from 10am. All welcome from the labour movement and community and voluntary groups. Further information from firstname.lastname@example.org
Ruskin House Folk & Blues Club
- Singers Nights: Sundays 7, 14, 21 & 28 February. 8pm. Andy Smythe will feature on 21 February. £2 entry.
- Buddy Holly Night. Saturday 13 February. 8pm. 50s and 60s music with artists: The Throwbacks, Ron Trueman-Border & the Perfect Strangers, The Swiss Rollers, Denny Terrell & Les Allen. Eat before you come. Doors open 7pm. Admission £3.
- RNLI Charity Concert: Saturday 27 February. 7-11.30pm. £8 entry (£5 Ruskin members).
- Patrick’s Night. Monday 17 March. 8pm. Artists: Durkin, The Lloyds, Misty Dew, Dougie Field & Kim Brett, Denny Terrell, Les Elvin, Len Downing, Luke Davey and Paddy.
Croydon Folk Club Nights
- 15 February. Mike and Crys Rothon together with Jill Hall and Peter Morgan. Non Members: £6; Members: £5
- 22 February & 7 & 21 March. 8pm. Singers and Musicians night– £3
- 29 February. 8pm. Liz Simcock. Non Members: £6; Members: £5
- 15 March. 8pm. An Evening with Les Elvin. Non Members: £6; Members: £
To buy tickets for guest artists nights go to: http://www.wegottickets.com/croydonfolkclub
Cinema Ruskin: Saturday 20 February. 8pm. ‘Carry on Sergeant’ (William Hartnell) 1958 & ‘Prison Train’ 1938
£2 entry. Ruskin House, 23 Coombe Rd, CR0 1BD.
Monday – Thursday 7-11pm; Friday 7-12 midnight; Saturday & Sunday 12 noon-4pm & 7-11pm.
Croydon Assembly: http://www.croydontuc.org.uk/page_3135608.html
Croydon TUC: http://www.croydontuc.org.uk
Croydon Folk Club: http://croydonfolkclub.org.uk
Ruskin House: http://www.ruskinhouse.org.uk/index.htm
Ruskin House Folk & Blues Club: http://www.folkandblues.org