Take Back Control is a series of events starting in Croydon hoping to bring together leave and remain voters, make sense of the Brexit negotiations and discuss how voters can take back control from economic elites and establishment politicians. It is ironic that Tony Newman, the Executive Leader of Croydon Council’s centralist top-down undemocratic system of governance is speaking as is Cabinet member Alison Butler.
Croydon Assembly will be running an information and bookstall which will include its People’s Plan for Croydon, in which the issue of Croydon’s undemocratic system of governance is highlighted. On sale will be my public ‘Who Control’s Croydon’ plus the history pamphlets on Croydon’s Radical and African/Asian history.
Friday 7 April. 10am Take Back Control Film
Film showing of Ken Loach film ‘I, Daniel Blake’ plus Ken Loach in conversation with DPAC activist Paula Peters.
Saturday 8 April. 10am. Take Back Control Workshops
Mixture of talks, workshops, exhibitions, food and parties. Highlights include:
- Croydon born jazz musician Soweto Kinch in conversation with journalist Maya Goodfellow on the role of identity and immigration in the Brexit debate.
- Guardian Journalist Dawn Foster and Clr Alison Butler along with local activists exploring how we can beat the housing crisis in London.
- Award winning playwright James Fritz leading an interactive read through of his new play Comment is Free.
- Founder of Bursary or Bust Danielle Tiplady, head of Croydon council Tony Newman and Independent journalist Youssef El Gingihy discussing the crisis in the NHS, social care and what we can do about it.
- Nick Dearden, the director of Global Justice Now, will be hosting a session explaining how the government’s approach to post-brexit trade deals will effect you.
- Another Europe is Possible will be hosting a session listening to your Brexit demands, and working out how we can build towards a ‘people’s deal’.
- Sessions from CLASS think tank and One Day Without Us
- A social space with art exhibitions, ping pong, food, live performances and film throughout the day.
TMRW Hub 75-7 High St, Croydon.
There is also entertainment in the evening.
For full line up and to pay to book a place go to https://takebackrealcontrol.com/croydon